Thursday, December 5, 2013

Blog # 20

Question # 10.) - Substitution (1)


original poem:                                (page 847 in Literature And It's Writers)
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- Nobody--Too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise--you know!

How dreary--to be--Somebody
How public--like a frog--
To tell one's name--the livelong June--
To an admiring Bog!


I'm Nike! Who are you?
I'm Nike! Who are you?
Are you -- Nike--Too?
Then we're a pair of shoes!
Don't tell! they'd advertise us on TV!

How dreary--to be--a Shoe
How Humiliating--like a bath being forced onto a cat--
to be on one's feet--the lifelong Dream--
to the sharp rocks we're forced on!

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the old Indian named Nobody, from the movie Dead Man. He spoke in the rhymes of Walt Whitman sometimes. I like that you used Nike, the shoe or (underlying meaning) the God? Nice job on your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure where you got the cat bath part from, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete